Glen-Gery turns 125 years old
Glen-Gery was founded in 1890 during the height of the Industrial Revolution, in Reading, Pennsylvania, by A.A. Gery. Starting out with only 32 acres of land rich in fire clay near the Reading Railroad. (Yes, the same railroad on Monopoly!) Gery built two kilns, sold one large job known as the Wernersville State Hospital and began manufacturing brick. Read more about our history.
Over the years, Glen-Gery continued to grow by acquiring additional manufacturing facilities to develop one of the most diversified product lines in the industry. These products include extruded brick, molded brick, glazed brick, klaycoat brick, handmade brick, thin brick and paving brick. Today, we complement our vast line of brick products with Landmark Stone, Thin Tech, natural stone and color mortar.
As America's premier brickmaker, our 125th year signifies strength and longevity made possible by our valued customers and dedicated employees. We thank you for making this possible!
View our short 125th Anniversary video below.
View photos from our history by decade below.
|A.A. Gery, Founder||Montello Clay & Brick Co circa 1890's||Inside the plant circa 1890's|
|First order was for 1 million brick for
the Wernersville State Hospital,
|Original cornerstone at WSH, 1892
The original building still stands
|1898: Built Wyomissing, PA Plant
with the largest brick kiln in the US
at the time.
|Wyomissing Plant was purchased.
||Kiln cars lined up inside the Oaks
Factory. This was our first plant
with a tunnel kiln.
|Kaaterskill Plant in New York
produced paving brick suitable
for streets and highways.
|Reading Shale Brick Company
was purchased from Yeager.
|Reading Shale Brick Company's
|Stock Market Crash, 1929|
|Shoemakersville Plant temporarily
ceased operations in 1929.
|In 1930, the first company
delivery truck and machine to
make molded brick were
|Glen-Gery reorganizes as
Glen-Gery Shale Brick
|The Ephrata Plant was purchased.|
|The Beavertown Plant and
Middletown Plant were purchased.
|Men working in the plant.||Glen-Gery slogan "One Hundred
to One Million Quick"
|Glen-Gery introduced packaged
brick in 1951. Each pallet held
500 brick surrounded by
cardboard and secured with
|A map of Glen-Gery locations
|Berks Building Block Company,
now a division of Glen-Gery,
located in Reading, PA.
|A new split masonry unit is
introduced into the industry.
|Kertz-Gery Corporation is formed
with Kertz Precast Corporation.
|Kertz-Gery trademarked Fabriwal,
a factory-made reinforced brick
|Glen-Gery acquired the assets of
|Glen-Gery offices and divisions
as of 1969.
|The new Mid-Atlantic Plant nears
completion in 1969.
|Automatic setting machines position
the brick units on tunnel kiln cars
in readiness for drying
|The Glen-Gery Reading Showroom
opened in 1977 on the site of the
In 1977, the Tuscarora Coal Company
|Glen-Gery merges with Marion
Brick company in 1980.
|Handmade production begins at
York in 1985.
|Midland Brick Company forms
Glen-Gery's 4th division in 1988.
|Personalized Brick production
began at our Bigler Plant in 1990.
|Glen-Gery and Ibstock Johnsen
were purchased by CRH, Dublin,
Ireland in 1999 trading under
the name Oldcastle.
|The Bigler Plant started producing
Thin Brick in 1990.
|Our Marseilles Plant opened in
|The $18 million dollar expansion
project was completed at Hanley
2010's: photos coming in December